609 E. National Ave. RM 118
Brazil, IN 47834
The office of the Clay County Assessor is responsible for accurately and uniformly determining the market-value-in-use of every property in the county.
This is achieved by using three approaches to value: Cost, Income and Sales Comparison. The State now requires annual adjustments of assessments to reflect changes in the market.
The County Assessor identifies, lists, and calculates the assessed value of all real and personal property in the County.
The County Assessor and Staff:
• Oversees the general reassessment process.
• Serves as member/secretary of the Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals.
• Insures countywide uniform property assessment equalization.
• Discovers and identifies omitted property.
• Calculates the total assessed value of each taxing district.
• Certifies current assessment to the County Auditor’s Office
• Utilizes recent sales of land to establish base market value in each neighborhood, adjusts the base values for location, nearness to amenities and other influence factors.
• Is responsible for the selection of assessment software.